Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Rain or Shine?



Do most people dress according to the season or the climate? I have had this debate with many of my relatives ( I honestly don't know why). Ever since I was a little girl, all I could remember is my mother dressing me according to the season and not the weather. So if it was fall, lets say, my mom would dress me up in boots, long sleeve shirt and a jacket...sometimes a scarf so I wouldn't catch a cold! (god forbid). Ok I know she was only looking out for my best interest, but then I would find myself dying of heat and embarrassment, because it would get to be so warm all of a sudden at a random point in the day. I would come home so upset because I was the only one in the class with a wool hat on while it was like 75 degrees after the morning was like o 40 degrees. Had a rough childhood-you could tell....no I am kidding.
Well in any event, now that I am out of my mother's site I could do what I want...literally. Especially when it comes to clothes! unless she buys them. I think it is obviously smart to dress according to the climate..DAH! I mean take Ithaca for example, people do not know what to do with themselves when it comes to starting off their day by facing the freezing cold morning and then sweating profusely after the lunch hour rush.
I wanted to write about this topic for quite some time now since it is starting to get warmer out. However, the temperatures keep fluctuating not only a daily basis in Ithaca, but they change on an hourly basis. One minute its sunny and beautiful. You feel like you want to run around in shorts and a t-shirt. As a matter of fact you just want to run outside because its nice out. And then you go to the library or you actually choose to go to class, and through the windows you see that the sky is getting darker and darker. And then you say shit, the rain...and I don't have an umbrella. Note to self, ALWAYS carry an umbrella with you in Ithaca. Also, I never want to carry a closet with me around campus, cuz thats just a pain. So I figure the best way to approach this bit of a style vs. comfort issue, is dress in layers. Always check the weather before you go out (weather.com always good) and if you really want to, have a pair of flip flops thrown in your backpack. They are light...its fine. So get ready...tomorrow will be gross and rainy, but the weekend in Ithaca, NY should be sunny and warm. Dress wisely!

No comments:

Post a Comment